Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Food vs chemo

So I'm an Italian chick--I love yummy food! But, I'm a vegan, vegetarian, I eat fish sometimes, and gluten occasionally. I'm a flexetarian!

Anyways, when I was first diagnosed I went totally vegan, gave up sugar, and anything that seemed "bad" and not "natural." That lasted about 2-3 months. I was getting in trouble at chemo for having low protein, so I started eating fish a few times a week and it helped. Also, my taste buds changed, my cravings were strange, and I could only tolerate certain foods. I craved quesadillas, toast, grilled cheese, cereal, muffins, stir fried veggies and other things. I couldn't eat much salad because of neutropenia.

The weird thing was that at various points of treatment foods had many different affects on me. One day grilled cheese would be a life saver, a few days later it was intolerable.

Here are tips that helped me
1- eat mushy foods
2- cook veggies throughly
3- follow this diet:
http://thechemodiet.blogspot.com/?m=1
4- eat when you are hungry!!!!!
5- drink a lot, especially after chemo




No comments:

Post a Comment